What not to do: Journal

Do not use Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive to glue your pages to the binding.  It is not secure enough.  Best thing to use is double sided tape.  I used Fabric glue.

I did not have PVA glue to adhere the kraft paper to the cover.  I used a regular wet crafting glue.  It took forever to dry.  Fabric glue dries faster.  PVA glue is strongest – I have some ordered for the next one.

I am ADHD and did not glue my kraft paper to the cover correctly.  I did the inside first and folded the excess to the outside.  Then did the outside and folded the excess to the inside.

The outside cover has visible dents that show the folds from the inside.  I do not like that look.  The inside does not look so good either.  But on the inside I will have some things adhered that will cover most of the inside front and back covers.

In Jen’s video, her’s is beautiful.  Do the outside first, fold the excess inside.  Then cut one whole piece just inside the perimeter and adhere inside.  No folds showing inside or outside.

I did not have dark brown archival ink so I used black, along with the vintage photo colored Distress Ink.

The envelopes I used were brown kraft colored and a bit bigger than Jen’s.  I am distressing my edges with black instead of brown.  (I ordered some brown archival ink for the next one.)

My box was a bit wider at the seam than Jen’s, so I added another stack to the binding.  This resulted in 8 pages instead of 6.  If you add a stack, each subsequent addition should be 1/2 inch wider than the last.  The height of your binding is dependent on the size of your envelope.  My binding is 6 inches tall and, 2 3/4, 2 1/4, 1 3/4, and 1 1/4 inches wide.  I used dark brown heavy card stock for my binding.

The spine of my book is 2 1/2 inches wide.  It is 5 1/2 inches wide by 7 1/2 inches tall.  This was determined by my envelope that started out as 5 1/4 by 7 1/4.  After cutting off 1/8 inch from each long side, the envelopes were 5 by 7 1/4 inches.  I did round the corners of my envelopes, but not the box cover.  My corner rounder broke and I even had to round some of the envelopes with scissors.  (corner rounder on the way)

That is all for now.  The next one will be much easier.

Enjoy, Diana xoxo


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s